Saturday, July 11, 2009


Watching a man in the street training a chicken to cock fight has inspired me to write.  I am impressed when I can do figure 8’s with a basketball…try it out with a chicken.  That takes some skill.  Sometimes I have to ask myself….where in the world am I??  Yesterday while walking home there was just a heard of horses chillin’ outside our hotel entrance. 

We truly have no idea where to begin.  First of all, we have never been this tired in our lives.  I come back from camp and just want to lay down, talk to no one, and want to hear no Spanish!  We were so tired after this first week that we both went to sleep at 9 last night.  It was the best way I could think of to start off the weekend which says a lot since I have a love of dancing and that is where the rest of the group went!  Although we are exhausted after week 1, we absolutely LOVE our kids.  Yafresi is one of my favorites along with Jairo.    

We had the “Desfile” (Parade) yesterday.  This is when all of the kids parade down the street with a chant.  We went all the way down the Callejon, down the main road, to the beach.  There the kids played tug of war.  They had so much fun!!  Kids talking smack in Spanish is just great!  If you want to pump kids up in espanol, you will need to know the phrase “Vamos a ganar!” (we are going to win). 

I’m not sure why I never buy Nutella in the US.  It is definitely a staple for us while we’re here.  It is also a great way to change things up.  Lunch = rice, beans, chicken  Dinner = rice, beans, chicken.  Sometimes they change things up with pasta or maybe a salad.  I missed dinner one night and ended up eating Captn Crunch and Nutella…which may be my new favorite meal. 

Every Sunday we can sign up to take a cooking/Spanish class.  This pas week we made Pollo Guisado and several salads.  I have never smashed so much garlic and cut so many tomatoes and cucumbers.  I think my kitchen skills improved more than my Spanish.  I’m determined to learn how to make a Mofongo.  Our teacher said she would give me a private lesson!  This week we are learning how to make Sancocho.  Additionally on Sundays we have surfing lessons.  Bianca is a freaking champ, but I can also officially say that I have stood up while surfing!  Our next lesson is tomorrow, and I am pretty dang excited. 

We have Spanish class every Tuesday.  They always have really fun ways of teaching us.  We learned opposites, commands (VERY important for class), and DR phrases while playing Bingo this week.  Next week we are going to play Jeopardy.  The local volunteers like playing too except they have a huge advantage.  We also made a pact with the volunteers from grassroots soccer that we will only speak Spanish. 

 Voy a regresar a mi cuarto porque hace mucho calor afuerra, pero vamos a escribir mas este noche despues iglesia. (I need to learn how to add accents using this computer, since half of that sentence is actually mispelled!)

  

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment